Chennai Waves : Part Two




Disclaimer: If you haven't read, Chennai Waves: Part One, I would request you to please read it.

Day 1 was one of its kind experience. In the coming days, I had no idea what a ride my first visit to Chennai was going to be. We went to water parks, watched Tamil movies in theatres with my father, frequented our visits to the beach, munched on authentic South-Indian food in Appa's favourite food joints and around the corner shops, attempted to speak and write in Tamil and what not?

I was so fascinated by the rich culture, I wanted to take a deep dive that very moment in it. When we returned Indore after the trip, I felt like my soul remained in Chennai and only body returned. I started mixing Tamil, Hindi and English (It is a general issue that I face till date whenever I visit Chennai and any other city in the later weeks)

Till date, my family is working on my Tamil language skills. I learn and forget after a while as I have no one around to speak in the language that frequently. But my family in Chennai manages with my broken language skills. I guess they have learnt to survive like this now. No complaints.

Though I always have one complaint with my skill set. I tend to forget speaking in Tamil which bars me from speaking with my dear Periamma (Badi Maa).

It kinda hits me hard that I cannot engage in a lengthier dialogue with Periamma, courtesy to my loose grip on the language. Periamma pampers me a lot as I am the youngest one in the family. But this mother-son love remains mute in words and only converses with loving gestures.

Life isn't a cakewalk. It's been years and today I am much older and Periamma is much wiser than we first met. But the language barrier remained strong and high as a mountain.

Hope prevails on either side as yet to engage in a dialogue which would last at least for a few moments. That day, I will be proud of myself. Till then, the yearning is set to take a toll on me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lifafa Journalism

Five Elements of Indian Democracy

Life After Death